This week, The Weekly Beet reports on the latest environmental trend in London that is fast going global. Mary Kent & Elisa give a thumbs up to going green, sharing the top 10 ways to making the transition easy!
With words like green, eco, sustainable, ethical, organic, fair trade, and vegan, there's a new environmentally friendly lingo on the scene. It seems that the Yuppie of the 80's is back with a cause! Mary Kent is calling this new group of people, Guppies, or green urban professionals. Guppies are highly aware and educated people who are choosing an organic lifestyle that respects nature and the environment. From eating organic to reading The Ecologist, and even driving a Tango, going Guppie is chic with an eco-twist! With the likes of Orlando, Leo, and George, even Hollywood's A-list has caught the green trend.
Becoming a "GUP" doesn't imply tree-hugging or hippie living. It means learning and incorporating simple changes to daily life that place respect for Mother Earth at the top of the list. Luckily, Guppie's trend is spreading far to ensure her future, as well as our's. Here are the top 10 easy ways to becoming a Guppie:
- Wear ethical and organic clothing! Read next week's Beet on healthy fashion!
- Go manic for organic! Eat organic food whenever possible.
- Use organic, chemical free make-up and beauty products.
- Go Tox-less! Use all-natural washing detergent and all-natural cleaning products. We love Ecover!
- From plastic to electronics, recycle!!! Don't use plastic bags, bring your own reusable chic shopping bags to the supermarket.
- Drive an eco-friendly car! Check out Tango. Take eco-friendly taxis.
- Become a green thumb. Grow your own organic veggies in the garden and herbs in the window sill. Make compost!
- Remember to turn off the lights! Conserve electricity. No need to leave your computer on all night.
- Fund a forest. Click here to read more.
- Join ethical on-line networks. Our favorites are Holistic Local and Ethical Network.
Get a green thumb. Go Guppie! Don't miss a Beet. Stay tuned for next week.
Mary Kent & Elisa
PS. Mary Kent & Elisa are wearing organic tops by Seasalt.
PPS. Check out Lorna Ketler and Barb Wilkins founders of Bodacious on Ladies Who Launch.
PPPS. Check out the fabulous, free, e-book called Natural Living Guide! We are the BIGGEST fans! Click here for the UK version. Click here for the US version.
PPPPS. We are fans of Quinova. Check it out!
Copyright ©2006 The Weekly Beet