O-Mega Essentials on Fats
please note all underlines are clickable
This week, The Weekly Beet reports on the wonders of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Mary Kent comes forth to reveal the truth on fats in your diet. And yes, there is such a thing as an essential, healthy fat!
If you're still living your days as a fat-free dieter, we say think again. Most non-fat and low-fat foods contain an oil called Partially Hydrogenated Oil, better known as Trans Fat. This highly processed oil is found in packaged foods from cookies and crackers to margarines. The harms of this oil are endless, so stop falling for fat-free labels. You will have to look hard on the packaging, but when you see the words Partially Hydrogenated Oil in fine print, turn to Omegas instead!
Omega 3 Fatty Acids are healthy fats that are essential to the human body. Because the body can't produce Omega 3s, they must be obtained from food. Our favorite sources of Omega 3s are Almonds, Avocado, Brazil Nuts, Dark Leafy Greens, Flax Seeds, Salmon, and Walnuts. For those of you on the run, Omega 3 supplements are also a great option. We love Nordic Naturals because the fish oils are mercury free and Udo's because they are perfect for vegetarians.
Here are a few reasons why once you go Omega you never go back. Omega 3s:
- Improve Skin & Hair Health
- Increase Memory & Cognitive Function
- Enhance Mood (fight thoses Blues)
- Support the Heart & Circulation
- Regulate Hormones (great for PMS)
- Increase Immune Function
- Regulate Metabolism
Try this easy recipe that will add lots of Omega 3s to your diet:
- Buy Wild Salmon at your local seafood or health food store.
- Pour a tablespoon of Olive Oil into saute pan.
- Turn on the burner to medium.
- Put Salmon into pan and sprinkle Sea Salt.
- Saute until Salmon turns slightly golden brown
- Add Dill or Fresh Pepper to season.
Don't miss a Beet. Stay tuned for next week.
PS. Check out Sara Blakely, Founder of Spanx at Ladies Who Launch.
PS. Special thanks to our fabulous fish monger model Michael Lear, of Chalmers & Gray in Notting Hill Gate.